Gain : Take a quiz!
To take a Quiz!
1. What species of butterfly is most often to be observed in Taiwan?
2. What species of butterfly face the exaction problem?
3. How many species of butterfly exist in Maolin Purple Butterfly Valley?
4. What species of butterfly is most often to be observed in field?
5. How many stages of caterpillar will take to become a chrysalis?
6. Which species of butterfly is the biggest one in the world?
7. Which species of butterfly is the smallest one in the world?
8. How many species of Pieridae are there in the world?
9. Where is biggest butterfly valley in Taiwan?
1. What part of butterfly is the most beautiful?
2. How many families of butterfly are there in Taiwan?
3. How far can purple crow butterfly fly?
4. Why Idea Leuconoe Clara won’t be eaten by birds with such slow speed?
5. What season do purple butterfly fly to Maolin for winter migration?
6. How many species of purple crow butterfly exist in Maolin Purple Butterfly Valley?
7. What family of butterfly does purple crow butterfly belong?
8. Euploea Sylvester Swinhoei is also called?
Ouestrion 1: Why does the purple crow butterfly fly southward for winter migration?
The purple crow butterflies belong to the common species that are distributed throughout the low elevated mountain areas in Taichung, they are butterflies naturally incapable of enduring the cold as they originated from the tropical zone. By this fact, they are forced to migrate to the Purple Butterfly Valley every year to gain shelter from the cold east northerly wind.
Ouestrion 2: Why the purple crow butterfly choose Maolin to spend their winter?
Maolin is known for its strategic geographical position to offer such shelter. It is located on the southern part below the Tropic of Cancer below the altitudes of 500m. the nearly dried up river ditches, and the possession of stable sources of water and nectar plants (e.g. shiny bugleweed herb and Lantana camara) offer a temporary habitat for the winter migratory butterfly. The facts that the valley opening almost faces the south and the sheltering mountains in the north make it almost impossible for the east northerly wind to make its way into the valley.
Ouestrion 3: What route does the purple crow butterfly move in Taiwan?
There are two main routes. One is in east of Taiwan, the other is in west. East one is along the shore of the Pacific Ocean, the east one is against the Central Mountain.
Ouestrion 4: Where will the purple crow butterfly stay in central and north area of Taiwan?
Da-keng pu li
Wu-lai xien-ji-yen kuan-yi mountain shr-shou mountain
Ouestrion 5: How many species of purple crow butterfly exist in Taiwan?
There are four
2.Blue-branded King Crow Butterfly
3.Two-branded Crow Butterfly 4.Striped Blue Crow Butterfly
Ouestrion 6: What kinds of nectar plants for purple crow butterfly are there in Maolin area?
species Mikania cordata, Alien species Mikania micrantha
Ouestrion 7: Why does the purple crow butterfly love to absorb water?
Although there is sufficient fats accumulated in the bodies of these butterflies to cater for the energy needs throughout the winter, water is still required to produce a biological reaction in turning the fats to energy. Hence, adequacy in water source is also a compulsory condition for the Purple Butterfly Valley.
Ouestrion 8: What kinds of activities do purple crow butterfly do in Maolin?
Absorb water, feed on the flower nectar, rest, mating
Ouestrion 9: Why do we mark and release the butterfly?
It is not easy to track the route of butterfly migration. We use “Mark, Release, Recapture (MRR)” method. We take some sample from hordes of butterflies, and make a mark on the wing to record the time and place. When they fly to other place and be captured by somebody, they might figure out their migration route according to the mark on the wing.
Ouestrion 10: Does the spider eat purple crow butterfly?
The spider would not eat them. The host plants of caterpillar of purple crow butterfly contain some poisonous plant alkali. They store those poisonous plant alkalis in the body as the weapon to defense.
Ouestrion 11: How to distinguish the gender of purple crow butterfly?
The male purple crow butterfly have Hair Pencils. The rear edge of front wing of female is more flat then that of male
Ouestrion 12: What do you need to take care when observe the butterflies?
The purple crow butterfly are almost deaf. The sound will not disturb them, but drastic movement and the change of light will scare them. To be a tree is necessary when we visit them.
Ouestrion 13: What kinds of function does the Hair Pencils have?
1. Spread the
specific Pheromone to attract the female for mating
Answer Web URL