History about Changhua Roundhouse
In October of 1891, the railroad from Keelung to Taipei opened (28.6 km), and would continue to build to the south of Taipei, Hsinchu ( 1888-1893, the 78.1 km), which was Taiwan's first railroad.
The construction was continued during the Japanese colonial era. After 105 years of contruction, with the completion of the construction of the South Link railroad, the railroad system surrounding Taiwan island was finally born in 1992.
The construction of Changhua roundhouse was completed in 1922, which was established for the needs of steam locomotives. Besides, it was maintenance base of steam locomotives in central Taiwan. From a bird's eye view, the tracks and garage are like an unfolding fan. Therefore, we called Changhua roundhouse as "fan-shaped garage" in Chinese. It is the only working roundhouse existing in Taiwan.
There were roundhouses in Taipei, Hsinchu, Changhua, Chiayi, Kaohsiung, Kaohsiung harbor during the Japanese colonial era, because of the joining of electrific locomotives, only Changhua roundhouse is not removed now. (The information originated from Wang, Hsien-Pi)
▲Taipei Roundhouse in 1980s
▲Half-Broken Hsinchu Roundhouse in 1989(Photoed by Lai, Te-Hsiang)
▲Chiayi Roundhouse in 1993(Photoed by Su, Chao-Hsu)